Last night was a bit nerve-wracking for me since I couldn’t stop thinking about my wisdom teeth removal that was scheduled at 7:15 a.m. this morning.  I was good and ate a light dinner.  I also drank a ton of water so I’d be hydrated for today – which lead to a couple of late-night bathroom trips.  I felt like Tom Hanks from A League of Their Own.

My sleep was a bit restless since I was counting down the hours till the big extraction.  First it took me a while to fall asleep.  Then I had multiple teeth-removal related dreams.  One of my dreams was that I kept accidentally eating and drinking before the surgery.  Then I’d get to the dentist’s office, and they wouldn’t do the surgery because you can’t eat before you get anesthesia.  Another dream was that I’d already had the surgery, and I woke up in the chair completely swollen and bleeding.  Needless to say, when I finally woke up this morning I was really nervous.

My mom and I rolled into the dentist’s office at 7:15, and I was pretty freaked out.  I had to review all of these waivers and post-op papers before I could go into the procedure room.  I finally went back and was chatting with the nurse about my strange dreams.  She laughed at me for dreaming about eating – what can I say, I love food!  My fears eased a little when I found out that the one lower tooth I had was not on the same side as the upper one that had started to grow in already.  I know that the lower teeth are the ones that hurt the most, and I figured the one that was already in would hurt a lot less to remove than the other two that were impacted.  Then my hand got sprayed with some cooling spray so the IV would hurt less going in.  Before I knew it, I was drifting off to sleepy-land while the nurse was talking about what she had for dinner last night.

If you knew me in real life, you would know that I love to talk and do it a lot.  Supposedly during the surgery, I kept everyone entertained with my discussions on food and eating.  All of a sudden I woke up, looked at them and asked “Have you started the surgery yet?”  They laughed at me since it was finished and I was all gauzed up and practically ready to go home.  It really didn’t take long at all (maybe an hour) and wasn’t as bad as I expected it to be.

I spent the day laying around on the couch, eating smoothies, soup, mashed potatoes and drinking tons of water.  The first few hours were a little rough since I was still bleeding a little.  But I never got sick from the anesthesia or the codeine pills, which made me happy.  My mom and I had a fun lazy day with naps and movies.  We watched Notes on a Scandal, The Wicker Man, and The Last King of Scotland.  Notes on a Scandal and The Last King of Scotland were really good, and I recommend them!  The Wicker Man wasn’t bad, but it was a little weird (but it had some good suspenseful moments).

By dinner time, I was tired of my noodle soup and mashed potato diet, so we ordered some Chinese food.  The left side of my mouth barely hurts, and I can chew over there a little.  The right side is a little jacked up, swollen and sore, especially on the bottom.  But I stuck to easy foods like some egg drop and hot and sour soups, some scallops, chicken pieces and lo mein noodles.  It took me about an hour to eat (I swear I’ve never eaten such a small amount of food in such a long amount of time) but it was so worth having solid foods. 

Now T and I are gonna veg on the couch together and watch Transformers, and maybe I’ll even convince him to take me to get some ice cream! 🙂 

Happy weekend everyone!

When I went back to re-read this post, I had a lot of typos.  I think my meds are messing with me more than I thought, haha.